Thursday, May 29, 2008

Day 7 in Firenze

I was re-reading my blog from earlier when it hit me: wow, I've been in Florence now for a week. I can't tell if it seems longer or shorter than that, but a week is while. Since I wrote a ridiculously long blog earlier, I'll try to keep this short. I just want to run down a quick list of impressions so far.

First I'll go with the good. The food is definitely good here, although I do need to find more authentic foods to try. I love that there is such a wide selection of different places to eat. And in case I haven't mentioned it before, I love gelato. I don't eat ice cream that much back home, but I've had gelato for the past 4-5 days straight and don't really see that streak coming to an end soon. I can feel good about it because I have to walk to go get it and I usually just get a small cone, so it's not like I'm just crushing it by the bowl-full. Speaking of walking to get gelato, I enjoy being able to walk just about everywhere here. I wish America was more like Florence in this regard, maybe then we wouldn't be so overweight. I don't think I've seen a fat Italian yet (although I'm sure some exist). Also, most of the Italians I've met have been helpful and accomodating to my inability to speak their language. The architecture and art here are amazing and I love learning about the history behind it all. I envy the Italians' laid back culture and wish that we weren't so overworked and stressed in America. I feel like they don't have a worry in the world here...must be nice.

Well, with the good come the bad. Maybe it's all of Europe, but Italians love their cigarettes. When walking through the city it seems like every person you pass is smoking. It's such a dirty and unhealthy habit...maybe they need a surgeon general here. Speaking of dirty, that's one of the things that surprised me the most about Florence when I arrived - this place is filthy. I don't know why, but Italians are more than comfortable just throwing their trash on the ground. I thought Americans were bad about littering, but here it's gotta be their second favorite thing to do next to watching soccer (okay, maybe it's also after smoking). There is also graffiti everywhere, which is really too bad because the city has so many beautiful buildings. One more thing about the trash, there are dumpsters lining the streets everywhere and they really start to stink. Close to trash pick-up day (whenever that is) a pretty awful smell starts to waft through the streets. Lastly, the worst thing about being here is the exchange rate - damn it American dollar, stop sucking. Oops, there is one more thing that I can't stand here: Italian ambulances. They have the most annoying siren in the world and they are everywhere. An ambulance goes past our law school every ten minutes or so. I never thought I would miss the sound of an American siren...

I don't want it to seem like I'm not enjoying my stay here, because that's not true. I'm having a blast and look forward to visiting more museums and other parts of Italy, enjoying my culinary adventures, and doing my best to sample the Italian nightlife. It's just that there are definitely things about this place that make me appreciate the many conveniences and nuances about America. However, I know I will have a great time in Florence over the remaining 3+ weeks I'll spend here and can't wait to see the rest of Europe too.

Well, I think that sums up my reactions so far. Any questions? No, but seriously, if there are things that you, my (one) loyal reader, would like to see me blog about instead of food, gelato, and drunk shenanigans, let me know. Ciao.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I must admit that I shared your love for gelato and had a few tastes myself in Florence. I think that you will really enjoy the trip to Sienna through the wine country to the south of Florence. Early on, this was a city threatening to be the center of art and power that eventually fell to Florence.

You need to try espresso or at least a morning cappucino. Italians love their coffee and that is something you must at least sample. (As Mauro warned me however, only women should consider an after dinner cappucino- for men it is either espresso or the next item!

In addition to sampling Italian coffee beverages, you might try Grappa, a traditional after dinner liquor- although I recommend not to sample more than one. I was told that this liquor is fermented from grape parts not turned into wine. I was informed that improper distillation of this beverage could allow contamination with other alcohols which could have dire consequences (methanol??)

I was enjoying your earlier long post so much that Em and I almost missed our tee time. Bravo, Mr. Gelato. I am looking forward to your pictures and descriptions of Rome!

Pedro

Anonymous said...

It finally came to me, profiteroles! That is the dessert that we really enjoyed during our visit to Florence. (Bongo Bongo)

I was fortunate to be taken with Italian co-workers to some of the nicer restaurants in the hills surrounding Florence. They of course ordered appetizers and main courses to allow us to sample the best fare that Italy had to offer.

BTW- the bottled water was curious- but I guess that will be similar in the rest of Europe. Of course, frizzante or carbonated water has CO2 which lowers the pH. It seemed to be an acquired taste. Since normally both bottles were on the tables of restaurants that we visited- you opened, you owed.

Pedro