Sunday, July 6, 2008

Austria

I made it, whew. The first two weeks of the program have been a whirlwind tour of Europe and has really taken its toll. It's hard living out of a suitcase, changing cities and countries every couple days, and constantly going, going, going. I'm looking forward to staying in the same place for two weeks. Oh yeah, this Hotel Ibis isn't nearly as bad as the others. We have free internet access in the lobby and our rooms are a little bigger. Now I'm just hoping that they have a delicious breakfast buffet consisting of more than croissants...

Anyway, this blog is going to be short because I'm tired and don't want to write much right now. The bus ride on the 4th of July turned out to be a complete blast. It took about 8 hours, but almost everybody on the top of the bus was drinking and having a good time. There was singing, laughing, and games. I managed to make that bottle of Pinot Noir last for a couple hours before it was gone. It was tasty and sweet; it wasn't dry at all. Then at our second rest stop, I got some kind of beer that also tasted like apple juice. It was a little weird, but pretty good. We definitely got yelled at multiple times by the professors, but this was probably because one girl went way overboard. She couldn't walk and I believe that puked outside the bus. Not a good impression to make.

Salzburg was amazing. Our hotel wasn't actually in the city, but it was awesome nonetheless. We had a balcony and when we walked out there, we had a perfect view of a beautiful mountain to look at. The hotel was rustic and reminded me of Park Mammoth Resort in Park City, Kentucky (the site of the annual Cave City golf outing). I really never did get to see Salzburg during the day because on Saturday I went over to Berchtesgaden, Germany, to see the Kelsteinhaus (Hitler's Eagles Nest). There really wasn't much to the building, but the views from up there are absolutely breathtaking. We spent two hours up there just enjoying the views of the Bavarian Alps. I took almost 200 pictures. On Friday and Saturday night we ventured into Salzburg to enjoy the nightlife. It was quite the good time. I'll tell you more about it when I write a more detailed blog. I'll try to post a good one tomorrow. And oh yes, there will be many pictures.

Okay, for now I'm gonna head to bed. I was out late last night and up early this morning to catch the bus to Vienna. I slept through most of the bus ride and have been hungover all day. But when I did wake up on the bus ride I was privy to seeing the beautiful Austrian countryside. Seriously, with all the mountains and rolling hills, Austria is stunning. You really have to see it. I'll post more tomorrow. Until then, goodnight. (I'm sticking with English right now because it's easy and most people here speak it.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Pinot Noir,

Looking forward to the pictures, I imagine with your sophisticated euro-palate that we "Orens" will now be ordering bottles of wine when we go out. (You can teach us the cork sniffing, wine swirling, and how to dispatch with the wine jockey to begin our enjoyment).

Anyway, golfing is going well stateside. Fantasy golf- well- let's just say I knew from your itinerary that I was going to be money on Sat/Sun. You had a reasonable line-up to choose from, but definitely had some options to improve your scoring and equal or beat old Pedro- you couldn't make changes- so I lucked out.

Em and I play "Free" golf today at Grey Eagle. An interesting lay-out with some doglegs, creeks, ponds and mature trees once you get into the more remote locations. Emily is driving the ball like an LPGA veteran. Believe me, she did enjoy waiting for me to hit my approach and blasting 40 yards down the fairway to her drive. Her putting is greatly improved and she needs alittle tweaking of her chipping and partial wedge game before she will be ready to take us on straight up. (I shot 82, Em a 95 with 2-3 pars and a birdie- and one dog balls).

The summer heat is moving back in, I imagine much more so that your Austrian paradise.

We are looking forward to seeing your pictures and more in-depth accounts of Salzburg and Eagles nest.

Ciao.

Pedro

Anonymous said...

Phone stuff in separate email.

Twilite golf tonite with guest appearance by Doc Souers.

Pedro